Improve Your Pipetting Accuracy in Just 5 Easy Steps
28 Aug 2018
One of the most common operations in a lab is pipetting; it is also one of the most prone to error. Thankfully, there are several steps you can take to improve your pipetting accuracy and ensure consistent results.
- Maintain consistent pressure: Use consistent pressure when you’re pipetting, and when you’re assembling the pipette. When you attach your pipette tip, make sure to avoid a fit that’s too loose or too tight. Use consistent force to apply your pipette tip to avoid fit issues that might affect your measurements.
- Focus on angles: To ensure you dispense all the liquid in your popette and avoid air bubbles, aspirate at a 90 degree angle and dispense at a 45 degree angle.
- Release pipettes slowly: After dispensing the liquid in your pipette, you shouldn’t release the plunger too quickly. Letting go of the plunger suddenly may cause air bubbles that can affect liquid measurements in your pipette. Release your plunger slowly with a controlled motion after you’re done dispensing.
- Pre-wet pipette tips: You probably won’t use your pipettes for the same thing every time, so you need to take steps to keep them clean and prevent cross-contamination. After using your pipette, flush residual substances out by aspirating with water and dispensing it again. Flush your pipette out two to three times before using it for your next sample.
- Consider more automated solutions: Manual pipettes aren’t always the most suitable choice for labs. Many labs benefit from the use of pipette controllers and automatic pipettes to maximize accuracy. These pipetting options are designed with ergonomics and user-friendliness in mind to ensure accuracy and comfort for technicians.
If you’re looking for intuitive pipetting solutions, look no further than Labnet’s BioPette™ Plus manual pipettes and Excel™ electronic pipettes. These pipettes feature precise volume settings and motorized piston drives. We have several different pipette options available so that you can select equipment with the specifications that will best-suit your needs. Reach out to us with your questions or to get a quote for our products.